Checklist: What Court Leadership Should Know
The following checklist summarizes what court leaders should know about the status of unbundled legal services in their state.
- Is there a civil/family court/professional conduct/ethics rule of procedure for the practice of unbundled legal services in our courts?
- Do we have civil/family court/professional conduct/ethics rules of procedure and forms concerning the manner in which the lawyer creates the entry of limited appearance?
- Do we have rules of procedure/forms concerning client consent?
- Do we have civil/family court/professional conduct/ethics rules of procedure for withdrawal/termination or completion of limited appearance?
- What, if any, is our rule on ghostwriting of pleadings and/or briefs?
- What is our rule of procedure/ethics rule concerning communication with self-represented parties?
- What are our rules/forms concerning notice of limited representation to opposing parties and/or their counsel?
- Do we have rules concerning service of papers on a limited scope lawyer?
- What are the state ethics opinions relevant to unbundled legal services? Have we adopted ABA Model Rule 1.2(c)(concerning the ethics of providing unbundled legal services)?
- Do our state malpractice insurance carriers specifically insure the provision of unbundled legal services?