Alli Gerkman is Director of Educating Tomorrow’s Lawyers, a national initiative to align legal education with the needs of an evolving profession. She became Director of the initiative in 2013, and has been part of its team since its launch in 2011.
She leads all major projects of Educating Tomorrow’s Lawyers, including Foundations for Practice, which is identifying the foundations entry-level lawyers need to practice and steering legal education toward that end; By the Numbers, which seeks to give prospective students better information about where and whether to go to law school so they can be more engaged with their decision and its outcomes; and Law School Curriculum, which supports the work of forward-thinking legal educators and law schools, encourages collaboration among educators and the profession, and promotes measurement of program outcomes.
Prior to joining IAALS, she spent five years in continuing legal education, first developing programs for a national provider and then developing the online offerings at the Colorado Bar Association CLE. While at CBA-CLE, she developed an online legal resource that was the recipient of the Association of Continuing Legal Education’s 2011 Award of Professional Excellence for use of technology in education. Prior to her work in continuing legal education, she was in private practice.
Gerkman is a commissioner of the Colorado Chief Justice’s Commission on Professional Development; a member of the Limited License Legal Technicians Subcommittee of the Colorado Supreme Court Advisory Committee; a member of Colorado’s Mandatory Continuing Legal and Judicial Education Rules Committee; a member of the Colorado Bar Association Board of Governors; a board member of the Colorado Women’s Bar Association; a member of the National Advisory Council for Law School Transparency; and a member of the Editorial Review Board for Touro Law Center’s Journal of Experiential Learning. She is also a fellow of the American and Colorado Bar Foundations and a member of the Colorado Women’s Bar Foundation Circle of Minerva.
She received her J.D. from DePaul University College of Law and her B.A. from James Madison College at Michigan State University, where she majored in Political Theory & Constitutional Democracy.
Oct 31, 2016
Jul 26, 2016
May 10, 2016
Feb 19, 2016
Dec 1, 2015
- 1 of 120
- next ›
Jan 17, 2017
Jul 26, 2016
Jul 26, 2016
Feb 5, 2015
Feb 15, 2013
Memberships & Affiliations
- Commissioner, Colorado Chief Justice’s Commission on the Legal Profession
- Member, Providers of Alternative Legal Services Subcommittee, Colorado Supreme Court Advisory Committee
- Member, Colorado Bar Association Board of Governors
- Board Member, Colorado Women’s Bar Association
- Member, Colorado's Mandatory Continuing Legal and Judicial Education Rules Committee
- Member, National Advisory Council, Law School Transparency
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Colorado Bar Foundation
- Member, Circle of Minerva for the Colorado Women’s Bar Foundation
- Member, Editorial Review Board, Touro Law Center’s Journal of Experiential Learning
- Colorado Bar Association Leadership Training Program (COBALT), Class of 2012
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Colorado Bar Association
- Member, Denver Bar Association
Recent Media Highlights
- National Law Journal: Practice Ready? Law Students and Practitioners Disagree, 3/6/2015 (link)
- LawWeek: IAALS Calls for Experiential Learning for Law School Success, 2/9/2015 (link)
- Wall Street Journal: Law-School Program Emphasizes Practical Skills, 1/4/2015 (link)
- LawWeek: IAALS Program to Redefine Legal Education, 8/11/2014 (link)
- Colorado Public Radio: Educating Tomorrow’s Lawyers with the Foundations They Need, 6/5/2014 (link)
- U.S. News: Making Law Students More Employable, 3/11/2014 (link)
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Keynote, Third National Symposium on Experiential Learning in Law, June 2016
- Speaker, Minnesota State Bar Association Annual Convention Finale – Minneapolis, June 2016: "Findings from the 'Foundations for Practice' Survey"
- Speaker, Western States Bar Conference, April 2016: "Plenary Session: The Profession Speaks on the Foundations New Lawyers Need to Practice"
- Speaker, Externships 8 Conference, March 2016: "Foundations for Practice Survey – 24k Respondents: Implications for Externships"
- Speaker, Access Group Legal Research Symposium, November 2015: "Approaches to Measuring the Value of a Legal Degree"
- J.D., DePaul University College of Law
- B.A., Political Theory and Constitutional Democracy, James Madison College, Michigan State University