Alli Gerkman was a Senior Director at IAALS, overseeing its programmatic objectives and strategy, with expertise in legal education, the legal profession, and delivery of legal services.
Under her leadership, IAALS launched Foundations for Practice to identify the foundations new lawyers need for success; to develop models of legal education that support those foundations; and to advance a culture of legal hiring that results in a better fit for the employee, the employer, and the client. More than 24,000 lawyers across every type of practice setting participated in IAALS’ national survey, the outcomes of which are driving the development of learning outcomes in law schools, facilitating the creation of improved hiring rubrics in legal organizations that hire entry-level lawyers, and renewing conversations about what minimum competence should be for entry to the legal profession.
Gerkman served on a number of Colorado Supreme Court committees focused on improving the profession’s ability to serve consumers, and served, at the invitation of Chief Justice Nancy Rice, as chair of the New Lawyer Working Group for the Colorado Chief Justice’s Commission on Professional Development. She was also a member of the Colorado Women’s Bar Association Board and the National Advisory Council for Law School Transparency.
Gerkman was honored with the Colorado Women’s Bar Association Foundation’s Raising the Bar award, which was granted in 2017 to “Women Lawyers Who Raise the Bar Through System Reform or Innovation.” She was also selected as a 40 Under 40 by the Denver Business Journal in 2018. In 2011, she developed an online resource for the Colorado Bar Association CLE that received the Association of Continuing Legal Education’s 2011 Award of Professional Excellence for use of technology in education. She is a fellow of the American and Colorado Bar Foundations and a member of the Colorado Women’s Bar Foundation Circle of Minerva.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Member, Providers of Alternative Legal Services Subcommittee, Colorado Supreme Court Advisory Committee
- Board Member, Colorado Women’s Bar Association
- Member, National Advisory Council, Law School Transparency
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Colorado Bar Foundation
- Member, Circle of Minerva for the Colorado Women’s Bar Foundation
- Past Chair, New Lawyer Working Group, Colorado Chief Justice’s Commission on the Legal Profession
- Past Member, Colorado Bar Association Board of Governors
- Past Member, Colorado's Mandatory Continuing Legal and Judicial Education Rules Committee
- Past Member, Editorial Review Board, Touro Law Center’s Journal of Experiential Learning
- Colorado Bar Association Leadership Training Program (COBALT), Class of 2012
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Colorado Bar Association
- Member, Denver Bar Association
Past Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, Law + Design = Summit: Human-Centered Design for the Legal System, Stanford d.school, September 2017: "Designing Before and Beyond Disputes"
- Keynote, Third National Symposium on Experiential Learning in Law, June 2016
- Speaker, Minnesota State Bar Association Annual Convention Finale – Minneapolis, June 2016: "Findings from the 'Foundations for Practice' Survey"
- Speaker, Western States Bar Conference, April 2016: "Plenary Session: The Profession Speaks on the Foundations New Lawyers Need to Practice"
- Speaker, Externships 8 Conference, March 2016: "Foundations for Practice Survey – 24k Respondents: Implications for Externships"
- J.D., DePaul University College of Law
- B.A., Political Theory and Constitutional Democracy, James Madison College, Michigan State University
Jan 17, 2017
Jul 26, 2016
Jul 26, 2016
Feb 5, 2015
Feb 15, 2013
Jan 7, 2019
Aug 1, 2018
May 9, 2018
Apr 30, 2018
Dec 11, 2017
- 1 of 122
- next ›