All About Unlocking Legal Regulation
Click here to learn everything you need to know about IAALS' project and our progress
November 17, 2023
'Robot lawyer' DoNotPay beats lawsuit by Illinois law firm
Reuters, Sara Merken
November 16, 2023
When it comes to deregulation of the legal industry, divisions run deep?
ABA Journal, Matt Reynolds
November 14, 2023
Could a solution to provide legal care in Alaska work in rural Minnesota?
MinnPost, Ava Kian
November 6, 2023
NAACP Program Asks 4th Circ. To Block SC Legal Advice Law
Law360, Travis Bland
November 3, 2023
Alaska Legal Services Corporation is bringing free legal training to rural Alaska residents
KYUK, Sunni Bean
October 25, 2023
Director Rachel Rossi of the Office for Access to Justice Delivers Keynote Remarks at the Launch of the Alaska Legal Services Corporation’s Community Justice Worker Resource Center
U.S. Department of Justice Office of Public Affairs
- Redesigning Legal Speaker Series
- March 21: The Ecosystem of Legal Service Providers—A Holistic Approach to Access to Justice examined the various legal service providers beyond lawyers who help people with their legal problems, and panelists discussed why it will take this entire ecosystem to fully tackle the access to justice crisis. Watch the presentation.
- October 6, 2022: Improving Access to Courts and Judges explored innovation in access to courts and judges—from nonlawyer representation in the courtroom to virtual hearings to venturing outside the courthouse and into the community. Watch the presentation.
- July 28, 2022: Redesigning How We License New Lawyers examined alternative lawyer licensing programs, how they differ from the current bar exam, what some jurisdictions are already testing, and how these alternatives might impact the profession. Watch the presentation.
- March 31, 2022: Opening the Law for New Opportunities explored the issues surrounding opening up access to the law, resources in the court systems, and the potential for new opportunities. Watch the presentation.
- February 24, 2022: Unified Bars and the Art of the Long View examined the status of mandatory state bars, the most recent legal challenges to them, and the innovative ways bars are meeting these challenges. Watch the presentation.
- December 7, 2022: The Role of Legal Education, Clinics, and Legal Labs explored the opportunities being created by regulatory innovation for legal education. Watch the presentation.
- October 20, 2021: Lawyer UPL—Has It Jumped the Shark? explored how regulatory reform efforts can strike a balance between broader access to justice, sustainable access, and public protection. Watch the presentation.
- August 24, 2021: Legal Tech—Using Technology to Build Sustainable Practices & Expand Legal Services explored how lawyers and other legal professionals can help to solve problems using new advances in technology—while building sustainable practices at the same time. Watch the presentation.
- June 9, 2021: Leading from the Bench—Expanding Access through Regulatory Innovation explored how judicial leadership can play a critical role in expanding access to legal services and access to justice. Watch the presentation.
- Recaps and videos of the 2020 Future of Legal Services Speaker Series available here.
- Utah Office of Legal Services Innovation
- Background Resources:
- Standing Order Regarding Creation of Task Force
- Work Group on the Regulatory Structure for Legal Services
- Initial Report and Recommendations
- Utah Survey Reports
- Standing Order Creating Regulatory Sandbox
- Report to Arizona and Utah Supreme Courts: Expanding Arizona’s LP and Utah’s LLP Program to Advance Housing Stability
- Right Now in Arizona
- Alternative Business Structures Program
- Legal Paraprofessional Program
- The Shely Firm Summary of Arizona 2021 Legal Services
- Background Resources
- Homepage: Task Force on Delivery of Legal Services
- Final Report and Recommendations
- Rules and Code of Judicial Administration Changes
- Additional Information
- Right Now in California
- Background Resources
- Access Through Innovation of Legal Services (ATILS) Task Force
- “Unauthorized Practice of Law” Enforcement in California: Protection or Protectionism?
- Right Now in Illinois
- Chicago Bar Foundation
- Illinois Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission (IARDC)
- Client-Lawyer Matching Services Study of the Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission of the Supreme Court of Illinois
- Intermediary Connecting Services Proposal and recommendations to amend Rule of Professional Conduct 7.2 and Supreme Court Ruled 730 & 220
- New Hampshire
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- Washington, D.C.
- Written comment in support of the Utah Supreme Court Regulatory Reform Proposal
- Written comment to Arizona Supreme Court regarding Rule 5.4
- Video testimony to ATILS (August 10, 2019)
- Written comment to ATILS (September 23, 2019)
- Spoken comment to ATILS in support of its Final Recommendations (March 12, 2020)
- Video testimony in support of the Paraprofessional Program Working Group's Final Recommendations (September 23, 2021)
- Written comment in support of the California Paraprofessional Program Proposal (January 12, 2022)
- Spoken comment in support of the Closing the Justice Gap Working Group (January 20, 2022)
- Written comment in support of the Colorado Licensed Legal Paraprofessionals Program
- Written comment to Illinois Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission (IARDC) regarding Intermediary Connecting Services Proposal
- Written comment on the Task Force Report by the Chicago Bar Association/Chicago Bar Foundation Task Force on the Sustainable Practice of Law & Innovation
- Written comment to the D.C. Bar regarding Rule 5.4
- Resolution 115
- Resolution 402
- Future of Legal Services Report
- Profile of the Legal Profession
- Commission on Ethics 20/20 Working Group Report on Alternative Business Structures
- ABA Center for Innovation
- ABA Center for Professional Responsibility
- SCPR CPR PMBR Web Resources
- Self-represented efiling: surveying the accessible implementations
- 2019 Trends in State Courts
- Landscape of Civil Litigation in State Courts
Innovation & Evolution in the Regulation of Legal Services
Libertas Institute & A2J Ventures (February 2023)
Leveraging Regulatory Reform to Advance Access to Justice
Cayley Balser, Erin Weaver, Gabriela Elizondo-Craig, Tate Richardson, & Stacy Butler (January 2023)
Lawyering in Times of Peril: Legal Empowerment and the Relevance of the Legal Profession
Ariadna M. Godreau-Aubert (December 2022)
Legal Aid Without Lawyers: How Boston’s Nonlawyers Delivered and Shaped Justice for the Poor, 1879–1921
Kelsea A. Jeon (Winter 2022)
Legal Innovation After Reform: Evidence from Regulatory Change
David Freeman Engstrom, Lucy Ricca, Graham Ambrose, & Maddie Walsh (September 27, 2022)
Get in Touch
Are you working to unlock legal regulation? Do you see information missing from this Knowledge Center or have updates to share? We want to know. Submit your information here, and join the conversation online with #reimaginelaw and #unlockinglegalregulation.